“BBEdit 8.6.1 Released”
|From:||Seth Dillingham||In Response To:||Top of Thread.|
|Date Posted:||Friday, February 16, 2007 10:46:17 AM||Replies:||1|
BBEdit 8.6.1 was (finally) released yesterday (8.6 was released the first day of MacWorld). By this point, it should be no surprise to any of the [tw] regulars that I had a hand in this release, too. I like working with Bare Bones, and (more importantly) they seem to like me. Or at least my work. When I'm not breaking stuff.
Ahem. (When would that be, exactly?)
The 8.6.1 release notes have the full list of new features, so I'll just list the stuff I'm personally interested in, or which I was involved in writing.
Support for .strings files.
This happened because a bunch of Rich's Smart Friends were hanging around the booth on the first day of MW, impressing me with their history. One of them whined about BBEdit not supporting "strings files" (which I hadn't heard of). That night, I whipped up a base implementation, filled it out a little more throughout the week, and had it finished a couple days after the show.
I was going to release it myself as a free download, but it turns out lots of Mac programmers wanted it, so BB decided to bundle it. :-)
Improvements in the TeX module.
I worked on the TeX module for 8.6, but TeX is a HUGE system. In fact, it's a whole family of huge systems (TeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt, BiblioTeX, etc.). Every time I look at it, I find more stuff we need to consider supporting in the TeX module. Most of those things are optional, "would be nice" features. The improvements that went into 8.6.1 were "duh, this should have been in there from the start" features. My bad.
Having said that (with tongue somewhere in the vicinity of my cheek), I will say that I'm rather proud of the TeX module. It has been a tremendous amount of work, but it has enabled TeX editing/navigation in ways that I haven't seen in other editors (and it's going to be even better).
Fixed a JSP-related hang.
I had nothing to do with this, but I did write the new Java module for 8.6 so I was afraid for a while that the hang was my fault. :-) (See previous comment about breaking stuff...)
Anything related to the Java module.
Adding support for Java's generics was especially interesting.
8.6 included a new Markdown language module. This was truly the most difficult language module ever. There may be no less parseable language in the whole world. (It's really a convenience language, designed for converting into HTML via script, piece by piece.)
In 8.6.1, I worked with Mistah Grubah to get the last of the bugs and his personal nits worked out. John wrote Markdown in the first place, and in fact he warned me in advance that writing the Markdown module for BBEdit was going to be a huge challenge. (Also see John's funny blurb ★.)
There are no trackbacks.
is Seth Dillingham's
personal web site.
From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. - WC